1) Which of the following terms describes the body's ability to maintain its normal state?
2) Which of the following best describes the human body's defense mechanism against environmental bacteria?
(A) Hair in the nose
(B) Mucous membranes
3) Which of the following best describes a nucleus cell?
4) Which of the following is flexible connective tissue that is attached to bones at the joints?
5) Which of the following allows air to pass into the lungs?
6) Which of the following is the body cavity that contains the pituitary gland?
7) Which of the following closes and seals off the lower airway during swallowing?
(E) Vocal cords
8) Which of the following is located beneath the diaphragm in the left upper quadrant of the abdominal cavity?
9) Which of the following anatomical regions of abdomen lies just distal to the sternum?
10) Which of the following cavities are separated by the diaphragm?
(A) Abdominal and pelvic
(B) Cranial and spinal
(C) Dorsal and ventral
(D) Pericardial and pleural
(E) Thoracic and abdominal
11) Which of the following terms describes the motion of bending the forearm toward the body?
12) In which of the following positions does a patient lie face down?
13) If the foot is abducted, it is moved in which direction?
14) The anatomic location of the spinal canal is
15) Which of the following is a structural, fibrous protein found in the dermis?
16) A patient has a fracture in which the radius is bent but not displaced, and the skin is intact. This type of fracture is known as which of the following?
(A) Closed, greenstick
(B) Complex, comminuted
(C) Compound, transverse
(D) Open, spiral
(E) Simple, pathologic
17) Which of the following is the large bone found superior to the patella and inferior to the ischium?
(C) Symphysis pubis
18) The physician directs the medical assistant to complete a request form for an X-ray study of the fibula. The procedure will be performed on which of the following structures?
(B) Lower leg
19) Which of the following is a disorder characterized by uncontrollable episodes of falling asleep during the day?
20) Which of the following is the point at which an impulse is transmitted from one neuron to another neuron?
(B) Glial cell
(C) Nerve center
(E) Terminal plate
21) Which of the following controls body temperature, sleep, and appetite?
(A) Adrenal glands
(E) Thyroid gland
22) Which of the following cranial nerves is related to the sense of smell?
23) Which of the following is a substance that aids the transmission of nerve impulses to the muscles?
24) Which of the following best describes the location where the carotid pulse can be found?
(A) In front of the ears and just above eye level
(B) In the antecubital space
(C) In the middle of the groin
(D) On the anterior side of the neck
(E) On the medial aspect of the wrist
25) A patient sustains severe blunt trauma to the left upper abdomen and requires surgery. Which one of the following organs is most likely to be involved?
(D) Urinary bladder
26) Where is the sinoatrial node located?
(A) Between the left atrium and the left ventricle
(B) Between the right atrium and the right ventricle
(C) In the interventricular septum
(D) In the upper wall of the left ventricle
(E) In the upper wall of the right atrium
27) Blood flows from the right ventricle of the heart into which of the following structures?
(A) Inferior vena cava
(B) Left ventricle
(C) Pulmonary arteries
(D) Pulmonary veins
(E) Right atrium
28) Oxygenated blood is carried to the heart by which of the following structures?
(B) Carotid arteries
(C) Inferior vena cava
(D) Pulmonary veins
(E) Superior vena cava
29) The thoracic cage is a structural unit important for which of the following functions?
30) Which of the following substances is found in greater quantity in exhaled air?
(A) Carbon dioxide
(B) Carbon monoxide
31) Which of the following allows gas exchange in the lungs?
32) At which of the following locations does bile enter the digestive tract?
(A) Gastroesophageal sphincter
(E) Pyloric sphincter
33) Which of the following structures is part of the small intestine?
(A) Ascending colon
(D) Sigmoid colon
(E) Transverse colon
34) Which of the following conditions is characterized by incompetence of the esophageal sphincter?
(A) Crohn's disease
(B) Esophageal varices
(C) Gastroesophageal reflux disease
(D) Pyloric stenosis
35) Which of the following organs removes bilirubin from the blood, manufactures plasma proteins, and is involved with the production of prothrombin and fibrinogen?
36) Which of the following is an accessory organ of the gastrointestinal system that is responsible for secreting insulin?
(A) Adrenal gland
37) Which of the following is the lymphoid organ that is a reservoir for red blood cells and filters organisms from the blood?
38) Which of the following best describes the process whereby the stomach muscles contract to propel food through the digestive tract?
39) Saliva contains an enzyme that acts upon which of the following nutrients?
40) In men, specimens for gonococcal cultures are most commonly obtained from which of the following structures?
41) Which of the following describes the cluster of blood capillaries found in each nephron in the kidney?
(A) Afferent arteriole
(C) Loop of Henle
(D) Renal pelvis
(E) Renal tubule
42) Which of the following conditions is characterized by the presence of kidney stones (renal calculi)?
(B) Interstitial nephritis
(D) Polycystic kidney
43) Which of the following best describes the structure that collects urine in the body?
(E) Urethral meatus
44) In men, which of the following structures is located at the neck of the bladder and surrounds the urethra?
(D) Seminal vesicle
(E) Vas deferens
45) Male hormones are produced by which of the following?
(A) Glans penis
(E) Vas deferens
46) Which of the following are mucus-producing glands located on each side of the vaginal opening?
(D) Corpus luteum
47) Fertilization of an ovum by a spermatozoon occurs in which of the following structures?
(B) Fallopian tube
48) Calcium, potassium, and sodium are classified as which of the following?
49) Which of the following is the master gland of the endocrine system?
50) Patients with which of the following diseases are treated with injections of vitamin B-12?
(A) Bell's palsy
(B) Crohn's disease
(C) Diabetes mellitus
(D) Graves' disease
(E) Pernicious anemia